Queries by Key in Laravel

May 7, 2017, 10:40 a.m.

One of my greatest frustrations with Eloquent collections has been that I needed to loop through the collection and either create a new collection or array if I wanted to have the results in a format where I could access them by a value in the query results. That is to say if I want to be able to access the results by say primary key, I would need to loop through the Collection returned by the query and create a new object with the key as whatever I wanted it to be.

I just learned that there is a much easier way to do this: 

    Model::all()->keyBy('whatever');

This will return the collection with "whatever" as the key, which makes life so much easier and code so much cleaner.

Labels: coding , laravel

No comments

Sizing Google Recaptchas

April 25, 2017, 4:20 p.m.

I was struggling today trying to get a Google Recaptcha integrated into a site. The space was smaller than the recaptcha size, and I couldn't figure out how to size it down. I found this article that explains very easily how to do it.

<div class="g-recaptcha" data-theme="light" data-sitekey="XXXXXXXXXXXXX" style="transform:scale(0.77);-webkit-transform:scale(0.77);transform-origin:0 0;-webkit-transform-origin:0 0;"></div>

Labels: coding

No comments

CSS for Cropping Images

April 19, 2017, 10:24 a.m.

I've been struggling with how to display images of various sizes in the same size. You can adjust the height and width of the image, or the max-height and max-width, but those will skew the aspect ratio.

To date, I'd been addressing this by putting the image in a sized div, and hiding the image that was outside the div, but this causes issues with positioning - you have to position the image the way you want it in the div - so the image is always cropped on top or on bottom, and not centered.

I just found a simple CSS solution to this:

img {
    object-fit: cover;
}

This will center and crop the image to a size specified by the image tag. 

Labels: coding , css

No comments

Solution to Socialite Login Issues

April 13, 2017, 3:56 p.m.

I tried a bunch of different things to try to address the issues I was having with using Socialite in a site that has multiple domains. The problem ended up being the session domain. I was able to generate callback URLs for each domain easily, but I couldn't get around the session domain issue.

Rather than spend more time on this I ended up using a little workaround. From my login page if you click on the login with whatever provider button it directs you to one domain, the one that the session domain is set to, and from there the Socialite logins work fine.

It's not ideal, but the worst that will happen is that someone ends up on a different domain than they started on. 

Labels: coding , laravel

No comments

Archives